Modern English Grammar- Adverb

ADVERBS

An adverb is a word which modifies the meaning of verb, an adjective, or another adverb. There are 3 kinds of Adverbs. They are Simple, Interrogative and Relative.

SIMPLE ADVERBS

1. Adverbs of Time ( answers the question, When?)

Example- He came late

He went to the beach yesterday

2. Adverbs of Place ( answers the question, Where?)

Example- You can park your car here

She fell backwards

3. Adverbs of Number/ Frequency ( answers the question, How often?)

Example- He frequently comes late

We often go there.

4.Adverbs of Manner or Quality ( answers the question, How?)

Example: He ate the Sandwich quickly

I was terribly busy.

5. Adverbs of Degree or Quantity ( answer the question, How much?)

Example- I have almost completed.

They were fully prepared.

6. Adverbs of Reason ( answer the question, Why?)

Example- Consequently, he refused to go.

Hence, I am unable to help you..

7. Adverbs of Affirmation or Negation.

Example- I will definitely do that ( Affirmation)

I will never do that (Negation)

INTERROGATIVE ADVERBS

1. Interrogative Adverb of Time

When will you go to Delhi?

How long will you stay there?

2. Interrogative Adverb of place 

where are my keys?

3. Interrogative Adverb of number

How many people were present?

4.Interrogative Adverb of Manner

How did he sing?

5. Interrogative Adverb of Quantity

How much did you pay?

6. Interrogative Adverb of Reason

Why did you resign you job?

RELATIVE ADVERBS (where, when, why)

That was the reason why I called you

This is the spot where the murder was committed.

POSITION OF ADVERBS

END OF THE SENTENCE

1. When the verb is intransitive ( does not take a direct object)

Example- She danced beautifully

2. When the verb is Transitive ( takes an object)

Example- He drew the picture nicely

MIDDLE OF THE SENTENCE

3.Placed before the verb

Example- He seldom comes to see me.   (he- subject; comes- verb)

They never admitted their fault                (they- subject; admitted- verb)

4. placed between subject and main verb

Example-  I am still working on my report.  ( I - subject; am- auxiliary verb; working- principal verb)

I should never have thought it possible..      

5. placed before an adjective or another adverb.

Example- You are absolutely right

He is very clever.

BEGINNING OF THE SENTENCE

6.placed before an subject

Example- Hopefully, My wife will be waiting for me at the Airport.

Comments

Popular Posts